Certificate of registration

An EU residence document is your proof that as an EU citizen - or as family member of an EU citizen - you have a right to reside in Denmark. In order to get the EU residence document you must register at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). You can also register at the International Citizen Service (ICS) or by joining our Getting Started in Denmark orientation and registration event.

Remember to take:

  • completed OD1 form
  • a valid passport or identity card
  • two passport photos
  • an employer statement (no more than 30 days old)
  • Documentation of sufficient funding

Read more about how to register and what to bring as an EU/EEA citizen

An EU residence document is valid for five years, unless you apply for one for a shorter period of time.  However, if your employment lasts more than three months and less than one year, your registration document is issued for the length of employment. The duration of your registration document is valid from the date of issue.

After 5 years of uninterrupted legal residence in Denmark, you may apply for a certificate of right to permanent residence.

Lapse of registration document

Your right of residence may lapse if the conditions on which your registration certificate was granted no longer apply.

This may, for instance, be the case if you are no longer in employment or no longer able to provide for yourself.

If you have been granted permanent right of residence, your right of residence will normally only lapse if you leave Denmark.

Read more on the New to Denmark website