In general, Aarhus University covers employees in case of work-related personal injury or acute illness when going on official business travels abroad.

Who is covered by the insurance depends on nationality, the status of your employment and how long your stay is.

Work-related personal injury insurance

Persons who are employed to carry out work in Denmark, but who go on official business travels of a short or long duration, are in general covered by the Consolidated Workers' Compensation Act (Arbejdsskadesikringsloven) during their stay abroad. This means that you will be covered in case you sustain an injury at work while working abroad. As the rules vary according to nationality, the status of your employment and how long your stay is, it is important that you look into the rules carefully before leaving.

Learn more about AU insurance on the Insurance webpage on the HR portal

AU travel insurance

Aarhus University’s travel insurance policy is part of the Danish State’s self-insurance arrangement, which means that Aarhus University employees are covered on official business travels and research stays abroad. People not employed by Aarhus University can be covered if the university bears the travel expenses in full or in part.

The AU travel insurance covers in connection with acute illness and injury. 

Please note that accompanying family members cannot be covered by Aarhus University's travel insurance. However, the university can cover any reasonable and documented expenses related to a researcher’s stationing (business travel of more than 28 days), which may be used to pay for insurance for accompanying family members.

Learn more about the AU travel insurance on the AU Finance Travel insurance webpage

If you are going to the US

If you are going to be stationed at a university in the US, special circumstances may apply as a number of federal states and/or institutions have additional – and often very extensive - requirements for insurance coverage. Thus, it is important to clarify the following with your employer before you make the final decision to relocate:

  1. If the particular American state or institution requires additional insurance, will your employer take on the (significant) additional expenses this may entail as a consequence of the extended coverage? If affirmative:
  2. Is it possible to get the federal state/institution to accept a declaration from your employer guaranteeing to accept any additional costs that are not included in the ordinary travel insurance covering travels on official business and thus will not be included in the disbursement from Europæiske? Or
  3. Alternatively, in case the federal state/institution does not accept such a declaration, will the employer pay the supplementary insurance?

Contact the Travel Unit with questions about travel insurance to the US 

Health insurance for EU citizens

EU citizens and citizens from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland may bring the blue EU health insurance card, which provides coverage within the EU for up to a year during holiday and work. Read more about the card and how to obtain it on and the website of the European Commission