Social security

When planning to stay abroad for more than six months, thereby having to deregister from the National Registry Office, you should carefully consider your position with regard to social security. The rules governing social security depend on whether you are travelling to another EU/EEA country or to a third country.

Social security when working within the EU/EEA

If you will be working in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can retain your social rights in Denmark. As a general rule, employees at public institutions in Denmark who will be working abroad for this institution, do not need to apply to Udbetaling Danmark (Agency Payment Denmark) to retain their right to be covered by Danish social security. They are covered by the Danish rules on social security regardless of where in the EU they work and/or live as long as they do not take up employment with other employers.

Should you nevertheless be asked for proof of Danish social security cover by the authorities in your country of residence, you must submit the questionnaire found at the website for use in determining social security rights to Udbetaling Danmark (Agency Payment Denmark). Note! You only need to do so if asked specifically.

Being covered by Danish social security within the EU/EEA means, for example, that you are entitled to receive the following payments from Denmark:

  • Health insurance and hospital treatment etc.
  • Benefits in case of illness and maternity
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Social pensions (old-age pension and early-retirement pension)
  • Supplementary pension (ATP)
  • Family allowance and child benefit
  • Occupational injuries insurance

Read more about social security within the EU on

Special health card for Denmark

If you will be staying abroad for a long time (more than 6 months), and thus have to hand in your health card, a special health card for Denmark can be issued which covers treatments during stays in Denmark. If you suffer from a chronic diseases, you are able to continue your treatment in Denmark. To have such a health card issued, contact your local Citizens Service centre. It is a good idea to bring proof that you will remain employed with Aarhus University during your stay abroad.

Read more about the special health card on

EU health insurance card

Having an EU health insurance card is a good idea if you will be working in another EU country. If travelling to one of the Nordic countries or to Great Britain, you do not need an EU health insurance card. In the Nordic countries, your yellow health card is proof that you are covered by the Danish health insurance scheme and entitled to medical treatment. In Great Britain, you must show your Danish passport.

With an EU health insurance card, you are entitled to medical and hospital treatment in Europe (including Switzerland). With the card, you are entitled to any treatment and medicines necessary during your stay. If you fall ill, you must contact a doctor, dentist or accident and emergency department offering state-provided healthcare. They will then decide whether treatment is required. In most countries, you need a referral from a doctor to see a specialist doctor or to receive hospital treatment. The health insurance card does not cover treatment by private healthcare providers or private hospitals who do not have a contract with the state. The EU health insurance card does not cover repatriation in case of illness.

With the EU health insurance card, you are covered by the public healthcare system in your country of residence in the same way as the citizens of that country. This means that you may, like the citizens of that country, be required to pay for some of your treatment yourself.

The EU health insurance card is issued by your local Citizen Service and you order it at 

Social security when staying outside the EU/EEA

When working in a non-EU/EEA country, you do NOT automatically retain your social rights in Denmark. This means that you may be covered by social security in the country in which you are residing or working and that you will have both rights and obligations in that country. You are obliged to pay social security contributions in the country in which you are working, and you are entitled to receive social services and benefits from that country. Social services and benefits are, for example, healthcare services, sick pay, family allowances and benefits in case of occupational injuries.

There are no international rules coordinating social security when you work in countries outside the EU/EEA. To find out whether you are covered by Danish social security or by that of the host country, contact Udbetaling Danmark. They cover the following areas:

  • Healthcare abroad
  • Maternity pay abroad
  • Sickness benefit abroad
  • Danish pension abroad
  • Occupational injuries insurance: Contact the National Board of Industrial Injuries

Denmark has entered into social security agreements with the following countries:

Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canada, Chile, Israel, Croatia, Macedonia (FYROM), Morocco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Pakistan, Québec, Serbia, Turkey and the USA

All the agreements are different, but most only address the issue of the right to Danish old-age pensions and ATP Lifelong Pension. You can apply for inclusion under one of the above agreements by sending a form to Udbetaling Danmark (Agency Payment Denmark) .

The agreements mean that once you have had your form approved, e.g. for the USA, you continue paying into ATP Lifelong Pension and retain your right to a Danish pension. With the form, you are also exempted from contributing to statutory social security plans in the USA.

Contact Udbetaling Danmark (Agency Payment Denmark) for further information at tel. +45 7012 8081.

See the Udbetaling Denmark contact page (in Danish)