Danish healthcare services for international staff at Aarhus University

Everyone residing in Denmark for more than three months has the right to receive national health service treatment for free.

As soon as you are a registered resident here, you have the same rights to medical assistance as Danish citizens. 

Health card and doctor

Public healthcare in Denmark is tax-financed, and the vast majority of health services are free of charge such as hospital treatments and visits to the general practitioner. 

Choosing a doctor

When you have registered at your local citizen service, you will receive a CPR number and a yellow health insurance card. The yellow health insurance card is your proof of coverage and your source of identification in the health system. When the citizen service issues your health insurance card, they will either ask you to choose a general practitioner (doctor) or choose one for you. The general practitioner is your main point of contact with the healthcare system for non-emergency incidents. The general practitioner will give you a referral in cases where further examination or treatment by a specialist or at a hospital is needed.

When am I covered?

You are covered by the Danish health insurance from the day you register at the National Registry Office (for non-EU/EEA citizens) or the first day of your EU residence certificate.

Further information

For further information about Danish healthcare see Lifeindenmark.dk 

Acute medical assistance

Emergency number: Call 112

In the event of serious injury or life-threatening illness or emergencies such as injury or fire, or if you urgently require police assistance, call the emergency call centre on telephone number 112. The number is the same no matter where you are in Denmark.

Read more about what to do in case of an emergency

Emergencies at Aarhus University

Find instructions for how to handle emergencies in practice – or advise others about how to do so on the Emergencies website

EU citizens and EU health insurance card

If you are an EU citizens or citizen from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you are encouraged to bring the blue EU health insurance card with you from your home country. With the card you will be covered by health insurance until you get registered in Denmark. Each separate member of a family travelling should have their own card. Non EU citizens who are a spouse/partner/child of an EU citizen may also apply for an EU health insurance card. Read more about the card and how to obtain it on the website of the European Commission and Lifeindenmark.dk

Stays of 3 months or less

People on short-term visits (less than 3 months) are not entitled to free medical care (only emergency treatment). They need to obtain private health care coverage through private insurances.

Cross border commuters

If you are working in Denmark while living in another EU/EEA country, you can, under certain circumstances, get a health insurance card which gives you access to the Danish healthcare system. Contact your local municipality in Denmark for further information or vist Lifeindenmark.dk

Dental care

If you need dental treatment, you can freely choose whichever dentist you prefer. You must make an appointment in advance. If you need to see a dentist at the weekend or on public holidays, you can call the emergency dentist in your region. Be aware that dental treatment in Denmark is not free of charge, however, part of the cost is covered by the Danish National Health Insurance. Children under the age of 18 receive free dental treatment from the municipal dental health services (Den Kommunale Tandplejeordning).
You can find a list of dentists on the Dentists' Association website (in Danish)

Outside opening hours
In case of an emergency outside office hours (8.00–16.00), you can visit the emergency dental service (Tandlægevagten).

Remember to bring your yellow health insurance card and cash or other form of payment. As with regular treatments, you can claim emergency treatment on your health insurance.