Address change

If you change address within Denmark, you must inform the Citizen Service (Borgerservice) in the municipality that you move to of your new address. You do this via the online self service facility on You may also change your address in person at the Citizen Service of your new municipality. You must do so within 5 days of moving into your new home.

How do you change your address?

  • You must report your move to the municipality you are moving to.
  • You change your address via the online self-service facility on The online self-service is primarily in Danish (depending on which municipality you live in or are about to move to). However, you can always get help to fill it in at the local citizen service centre. 
  • You need to log on with your NemID. 
  • You can also show up at the Citizen’s Service you are moving to report your move and get assistance on the spot.

If you need assistance using the online system, you may contact the Citizen’s Service at 8940 2000 or the evening hotline at 7020 0000.

Rules and fines

If you fail to report your move within the time limit of 28 days before moving to 5 days after moving, you risk one of the following fines:

  • Move notified later than 5 days after moving
  • Failure to cancel a no longer relevant address
  • Incorrect information about the move itself
  • Failure to provide requested information or giving false information

Please contact your local Citizen Service for further information about the change of address.

What to remember when moving out

There are certain things to remember when leaving and/or selling a property. You should remember to:

  • Read the meters (electricity, water and heating) and the oil tank if you have one
  • Cancel standing bank orders, insurances, subscriptions to newspapers and periodicals, club memberships, etc.
  • Hand in all your keys

The figures (on the meters and oil tank) should be sent to whoever verifies the arrangement, or to the landlord’s administrator of a rented residence. You should also notify the utility companies of the change of owner and/or tenant, and of the figures on the meters.

Refer your landlord to the AU Staff Housing Portal

New international colleagues are always arriving at Aarhus University and they all face the common and sometimes daunting problem of finding a place to call home. Therefore, if you have enjoyed staying in your apartment and your landlord has enjoyed having an international person/family as a tenant, then we need your help to encourage your landlord to find a new tenant via the AU Staff Housing Portal. This is so that we can try to help fill the vacancy that you leave behind with another international AU colleague in need.

All you need to do is pass on the link to the AU Staff Housing Portal to your landlord when you hand in your accommodation’s contract termination notice and tell him/her to read the instructions, under Landlord, on how to find a tenant. This will help both the new AU employees but at the same time, it will make life easier for your landlord, who does not have to worry about the hassle of having to advertise their property. 

Housing benefits

If you live in rented accommodation, you may be entitled to receive housing benefits.

Read more on International Aarhus about housing benefits