Living in Denmark

When living in Denmark, there are a number of issues to be aware of for you as an international employee at Aarhus University and your family. We have gathered some information to help you the best way possible in your daily life. 


Citizens must report their move to the National Registry/Citizen’s Service at the latest 5 days after having moved. It may, however, already be reported up to a month before the actual move.  

Read more about how to change your address 

Read more about moving

Daily life

There are a lot of issues that influence your daily life: getting your mail, going for shopping, finding news in English, and much more. Read more about these issues in the Daily life section. 

See Daily Life

Leisure activities

In the section concerning leisure activities we have compiled information about international clubs and associations, cultural offers, dining, family activities and exercise options. Denmark is a country with many clubs and associations, so if you have a free time activity, we will have the right club for you. 

Visit the Leisure activities page 

Transportation in Denmark

Denmark has a good transportation network for both public and private transport. In this section you may read about having a car in Denmark, buses, trains and biking opportunities. 

Visit the Transportation in Denmark section


The Danish tax system is a complicated matter of rules and laws as in most countries. You do not need to be familiar with all of these rules and laws, but it is important that you know what you need to do in relation to your tax.

It is your duty to stay informed about, check and approve the figures in your online tax folder to ensure that you do not pay too much or too little tax. At you will find important information on how to pay tax in Denmark. Please note that E-tax (the self-service facility – Tast-Selv) is in Danish. You are always welcome to call The Danish Customs and Tax Administration if you need further assistance. 

Read more about taxation

Housing benefits

If you live in rented accommodation, you may be entitled to receive housing benefits. Read more on the AU Housing portal