Working at AU short-term

If you come to Aarhus University to work for less than 3 months, you need to have the proper permits, health coverage and registrations.

Permission to reside and work in Denmark

For Nordic citizens

A work or residence permit is not necessary.

For EU/EEA citizens

A work or residence permit is not necessary.

For non-EU/EEA citizens

Various rules apply according to your position at Aarhus University, whether you will be employed or not employed and whether you will be a PhD student or a researcher. Read more about the rules for non-EU/EEA citizens

Guest Researcher - support with permits

The Guest Researcher Support assists non-employed guest researchers and non-employed, non-enrolled PhD students at Aarhus University to apply for residence and work permits. Read more about the Guest Researcher Support

For further assistance please contact:


If you are staying in Aarhus for less than 3 months, you have different accommodation options. To have the best accommodation options, it is important to start looking for a place to stay as early as possible and before coming to Denmark.

AU Housing

AU Housing offers information and assistance in finding accommodation.

The AU Staff Housing Portal has accommodation for stays between 1-12 months.

AU Housing at the private market guides you on how to find accommodation on your own.


If you stay in Denmark for less than 3 months, it depends on your nationality whether you are covered by the Danish national health insurance or not.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

You will not be covered by the Danish national health insurance and need to take out private health insurance. 

EU/EEA citizens

You can gain access to the Danish national health care if you have a blue European health insurance card. With this card you will get treatment under the same conditions as people insured in Denmark. Read more about EU health insurance

Nordic citizens

As a Nordic resident you are entitled to Danish healthcare under the same conditions as people insured in Denmark if you are covered by the public healthcare system in a Nordic country (Norway, Sweden, Finland or Island). In some cases, additional expenses for your transport home may be covered, if you get ill during your stay in Denmark. Normally your Nordic health insurance card and ID are sufficient as proof of coverage, we recommend, however, to have your blue European health insurance card at hand also.

Read more about Danish healthcare



Aarhus University provides personal on-the-job injury insurance. This will cover you if you sustain an injury while you are working.

However, it is your responsibility to take out private insurance on certain areas such as health, travel and personal liability to cover you while you are staying in Denmark.

To take out insurance in Denmark, usually you need a CPR number (Civil Registration Number). If you stay in Denmark for less than 3 months, you cannot get a CPR number, and therefore it is difficult to take out private insurances in Denmark.

We strongly recommend you take out travel insurance before coming to Denmark.

Read more about insurance


You cannot register with an address in Denmark when you stay in Denmark for less than 3 months.

If you receive pay from Denmark, you need to register for a tax card with the Danish Tax Agency. 

Read more about tax registration


AU unfortunately does not offer childcare services. Childcare in Denmark is public, government subsidized and is offered through the municipalities. To register for childcare in your municipality, you need a CPR number. You can apply for a CPR number if your stay is longer than 3 months.

If your stay is shorter than 3 months, you will not be able to register your child for childcare in Denmark. If you need help with childcare, you can contact the registered agency The Nanny Agency, who may be able to assist, or you will need to make other private arrangements on your own.


If you stay in Denmark for up to 3 months, you may be fully tax liable in Denmark. The rules depend on whether your stay is funded by a fellowship or as pay from the university; whether your main residence is in Denmark or your home country; and other factors.

We recommend you call the Danish Tax Agency to make sure you are taxed correctly and according to your situation.

Read more about taxation of short-term stays

If you need to extend your stay beyond 3 months

If you need to extend your stay beyond 3 months, various rules and regulations apply regarding:

  • Extensions of work and residence permits
  • Registration for EU residence
  • CPR and address registration
  • Tax registration

For further assistance and guidance contact International Staff Office