Permission to reside and work in Denmark for non-EU/EEA citizens working at AU

Accompanying family members

Spouses, registered partners or cohabiting partners, as well as any children under the age of 18 who are living at home, to a person granted a residence and work permit as a researcher, guest researcher, PhD student or guest PhD student are eligible for Danish residence permits.

However, you must be able to support your family and you must all live together in Denmark at the same address. The spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner is allowed to work full-time for the entire period his or her permit is valid.

How to apply?

The spouse/registered partner/cohabiting partner as well as every child must submit his/her own application via the MF1-form. It is also necessary to pay a fee for every single person.

The application form contains a detailed description of how you should complete the form and which documents you must attach.

Biometrics for residence cards

You must have your biometric features and your signature recorded when submitting your application or within 14 days of submitting your online application.

You must notify the person at Aarhus University who assists you with your residence and work permit application, if you are not able to have your biometrics recorded within the 14 day limit.

How to record biometrics

Go to SIRI at one of the branch offices around the country (Bornholm, Copenhagen, Odense, Aalborg, Aarhus and Aabenraa). Booking a timeslot beforehand is mandatory, but no waiting once you are there. Find further information and link to booking 

You should bring your passport and a copy of your residence and work permit application/permit or a print of the receipt for the online application.

Read more about biometrics for residence cards

When your application has been processed

After having processed your application, the immigration authority will make a decision. If you applied from outside Denmark the decision will be sent to the diplomatic mission in your country of origins or country of residence. The diplomatic mission will send the decision to your e-mail, or you will be asked to pick it up in person at the diplomatic mission.

It is important to:

  • Read the decision and attached information carefully
  • Be aware of actions to be taken upon arrival in Denmark
  • Make sure that the granted period is correct
  • Always keep the permit and attachments in your files

Upon arrival in Denmark you are required to register at the public authorities. Read more about how to register.

Residence card (blue card)

As a non-EU/EEA citizen you will be issued a residence card with biometrics (blue card), which includes your facial image and fingerprints stored on a microchip embedded in the card. 

You must have the residence card to travel outside Denmark as it is your documentation that you have a residence and work permit to Denmark. Therefore, you must have the residence card with you at all times. 

If you do not have the residence card and have to leave Denmark during your stay, you must apply for a re-entry permit every time you go abroad.

How do you receive the residence card?

The residence card is sent to the address you register yourself with at the National Registry/Citizens Service. Your name must appear on the mailbox of your residence; or else the mail will not be delivered and you will not receive your residence card.

Usually it takes approximately 4 weeks to get the card. If you have not received the card within 4 weeks, you should contact the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. Alternatively, contact the person at AU who has assisted you in getting the permit. 

For further information about biometric residence cards please see the New to Denmark website 

Sideline activities

Important information for non-EU/EEA employees/guests holding a residence and work permit to Aarhus University and who is considering to act as external examiner, give lectures or to take other sideline activities anywhere in Denmark.

If you hold a work and residence permit to Aarhus University, this permit only allows you to work for the specific and specified employer (AU) in the specified position and period as mentioned in your work and residence permit.

If you are considering to engage in any other activities, an additional permit for that sideline activity can required depending on the type of permit.

As long as you are here on one of the following types of permits, sideline activities in natural connection to your main work or voluntary work in your free time does NOT require a permit for sideline activities:

  • Researcher permit
  • Guest researcher permit
  • PhD permit

Other sideline activities requires a permit. If you have questions regarding the character of your sideline activity please contact us.

The following permits however require a special permit for sideline activites:

  • Guest PhD permit
  • Pay Limit permit
  • Positiv List permit
  • Trainee permit

Sideline activities can be related to your work or free time. A sideline permit is required for each sideline activity. 

Consequences if you do sideline activities without a permit

Failure to obtain sideline permits if required will put you in the position of working illegally. Consequently, both you and your sideline employer(s) or host(s) can be subject to a fine, and worst case scenario you can be deported from Denmark and not be allowed back for a long time.

Application process

A separate application for each sideline activity is submitted to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), and your sideline employer or host must initiate the application.

The processing time can be up to one month from the date SIRI receives a fully completed application. Therefore it is important to apply in due time.

There is no application fee required and no requirements to record biometrics.

If the above circumstances apply to you, please contact your sideline employer(s) or host(s) as soon as possible and inform AU that you take up sideline activity.

If you have additional questions, please contact Inge Aachmann Pedersen

Public benefits when you have been granted a residence and work permit

If you have been granted a Danish work and residence permit, you are not allowed to receive public benefits (under the terms of the Active Social Policy Act). This is because you must be able to support yourself financially during your stay. 

If you or a family member receive public benefits during your stay, your permit can be revoked – and you will lose the right to stay in Denmark.

If an authority, e.g. a municipality, disburses benefits to foreign nationals, the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) will be notified.

If you and any family members apply for and are granted a work and residence permit, you will be informed of the requirement to support yourselves financially in the letter granting you a permit.

Read more in detail about the regulations for non-EU/EEA citizens on the New to Denmark website

Restricted regulations for PhD students

Please be aware that more restricted regulations apply for PhD students

Re-entry permit

You need a re-entry permit if you have not yet received your pink residence card and need to go abroad for a limited period of time.

Normally a re-entry permit will only be granted if you have specific travel needs and the period of time spent outside of Denmark is short.

Who is able to obtain a re-entry permit?

Re-entry permits are given to people who need to go abroad and who:

  • Hold a valid residence and work permit but have not yet received their pink residence card
  • Have submitted an application for an extension of a residence and work permit and have not yet received their pink residence card

Children of foreign nationals with permanent residency in Denmark, who have not yet received a residence card, can be issued with a residence card by the Danish Immigration Service or the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

Duration of re-entry permits

The re-entry permit will be valid for the period of time that corresponds with your specific travel needs, but never for more than 90 days.


The re-entry permit must be issued before you leave Denmark.

A re-entry permit can be issued, if the applicant meets in person at one of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration Citizen Service centres around the country. Remember to bring a valid passport. The re-entry permit will be affixed to a page in your passport. 

Read more about how to apply for a re-entry permit on the New to Denmark website

Extension of your residence and work permit

You are personally responsible for extending your residence permit if applicable. Your application must be submitted no sooner than two months before and no later than the date of expiry of your current permit. Submit your application to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (by email to or via the electronic application system) or the local police.

The form to fill out is the AR3/AR7 form (MF2 for accompanying family members).

The application process and the documentation needed to apply are described in the forms – please read them carefully.

Remember to send/bring along the following documents when extending your residence and work permit:

  • Documentation of paid fee.
  • Valid passport or other form of travel identity card.
  • Passport photo that is a good likeness. See instructions here (in Danish only)
  • Employment contract, including your job description and employment conditions, i.e. pay, working hours, work content.
  • For employees whose original residence permit is revoked, etc. in particular: documentation for employment conditions, e.g. employment contract, payslips or annual tax return.
  • For non-AU-employees: Proof that the applicant can support him-/herself financially while in Denmark, e.g. bank statements, pay slips or a letter from the applicant‟s employer in his/her home country (original documents only).

Please refer to the New to Denmark website for further information

If you leave Denmark for a period

Your residence permit will automatically be revoked if you relinquish your residence in Denmark unless your permit exempts you from this (only applies to certain permits issued after January 1st 2015).

If you remain outside Denmark for a longer period of time, your residence and work permit can be annulled. This happens if you give up your residence in Denmark or if you stay outside Denmark for longer than 6 months (or 12 months if you have been in Denmark for more than two years).

You have to apply for dispensation from having your residence and work permit cancelled before you leave Denmark.

For further information about how to submit the application and access to the application forms, see

What you will need to re-enter into Denmark/the Schengen area

If you need to leave Denmark and the Schengen area during your stay in Denmark you must have a multiple entry visa or a residence card (pink card).

  • The multiple entry visa allows you to travel in the Schengen area during the period stated in your visa sticker in your passport.
  • The residence card is documentation that you have Danish residence and is used in the same way and gives access to the same countries as the visa sticker.

If you are a legal resident in Denmark but do not hold a multiple entry visa or a residence card, and need to leave Denmark for a limited period of time, you must apply for a re-entry permit to Denmark. Read more about re-entry permits above.

Permanent residence as a non-EU citizen

You can be granted a permanent residence permit in Denmark once you have had a temporary residence permit for eight years. In some cases, the requirement is four years.

You need to meet certain requirements. Read in detail about the requirements on the New to Denmark website and contact the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration for further information.

It is a good idea to gather the necessary documents before you start to complete the application form.

Read about the application procedure and documents required on the New to Denmark website