Newly arrived international staff at AU

When you arrive to Denmark, there are a number of things you need to do in order to get settled. Below you can read more about the steps to go through during your first weeks and months in Denmark. 

Arrival 1-4 weeks

Step 1: Register for CPR number and tax card

When you arrive in Denmark and will be staying for more than 90 days you need to register with the Citizen Service to get a CPR number and notify the tax authorities.

The steps to take to register depend on your nationality. Visit our registration page and choose your nationality to learn more. 

See our registration page

Step 2: Apply for NemID

NemID is a common secure login on the internet to use for online banking, to change your address with the public authorities or to engage with one of the many businesses that use NemID.

A common login

NemID is the same login everywhere. Whether you’re doing your online banking or you need to view your tax file, the way you log in will be exactly the same.

Read more about NemID

Step 3: Open a bank account

To receive your payment from Aarhus University, you will need a bank account. In Denmark everyone has the right to open a basic bank account.

You need a CPR number (and normally also the yellow health insurance card) to open a bank account.

Read more about how to open a bank account

Step 4: Log on to e-Boks / Digital post

E-boks and Digital Post are two platforms that give you access to mail from both the public authorities and private companies. The public authorities will contact you via Digital Post, and you will automatically be registered for Digital Post when you register for your CPR number. 

With e-Boks, you can receive mail from most companies in the largest industries, and from all of Denmark's municipalities, regions and state authorities. You can link Digital Post to E-boks so that you only need to check one mailbox to see mail from both the public authorities and private companies.

If you do not check your E-boks or Digital post, you will miss important mail from the public authorities. This includes any letters from hospital, pension statements, changes to housing benefits, replies to applications for childcare, letters from the Danish Tax and Customs Administration (SKAT), etc.

You need your CPR number and an active NemID to log on to E-boks and Digital Post.

Read more about E-Boks

Read more about Digital Post

Step 5: Register your car

If you take up residence in Denmark and bring a vehicle, you must register your foreign registered vehicle with the Danish tax authorities within 30 days of arrival and you must pay a registration tax. The expenses in relation to bringing your car to Denmark are considerable, and for this reason many people choose not to bring their car with them to Denmark.  

Read more about car registration

Within 8 weeks

Step 6: Take out unemployment insurance (optional)

In Denmark, insurance against unemployment is voluntary. If you want to be insured against unemployment, you must apply for admission into an unemployment insurance fund (a-kasse).

However, please read the following guide before you go ahead and sign up with an a-kasse. Especially non-EU citizens may have difficulty to use the unemployment insurance system, since you may not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Read more about unemployment insurance

Within 90 days

Step 7: Convert driving licence (for non-EU/EEA driver's licences only)

When relocating to Denmark with a non-EU/EEA driving licence, you may be required to exchange your licence for a Danish equivalent within 90 days and complete a driving test (consisting of a theoretical and a practical part) prior to the exchange. It depends on where your driving licence was issued whether you need to change your licence or not.  

Read more about driving licence conversion

No deadline

Step 9: Take out private insurance

While most vital services are covered by the public healthcare system in Denmark, most Danes also have private accident insurance, home contents insurance, unemployment insurance and travel insurance. In addition to these, it is mandatory by law to have third party insurance if you own a car. It is your responsibility to take out private insurance.    

Read more about insurance

Step 10: Sign up for Danish courses

As an international with an official Danish address (folkeregisteradresse) and a CPR number, you can take state supported Danish courses in the municipality you live. The courses are both for you and your accompanying partner and take place either at the language school or on the university campus. 

The courses are at a cost, but the department can choose to pay for staff members. The university is not allowed to pay for courses for accompanying partners.

Read more about Danish courses

Step 11: Choose dentist

If you need dental treatment, you can freely choose whichever dentist you prefer. You must make an appointment in advance. If you need to see a dentist at the weekend or on public holidays, you can call the emergency dentist in your region. Be aware that dental treatment in Denmark is not free of charge. It is therefore a good idea to ask in advance what the treatment will cost.  

Read more about dentists and other healthcare services

If children

Step 12: Sign up children for childcare and school


The vast majority of children under the age of six are looked after by a childminder or a nursery from Monday to Friday. It is the task of the municipal authorities to provide day care facilities, and the options vary from authority to authority. It is your job to contact the municipal authorities to book a daycare spot for your child. In order to sign up for childcare you need a CPR number for your child and an address in Denmark. 

Read more about childcare

Primary and lower secondary education

In Denmark, education is mandatory for children aged 6-16. Education is free at state or public schools (Folkeskole). It is also possible for your child to attend private schools (including international schools), which costs a monthly fee. Children begin school in August the year they turn six years old.  

Read more about primary and lower secondary education

Coming to work at Aarhus University For sure you have lots of questions when you come to work at Aarhus University. How do you register? Open a bank account? Or take out insurance? This video will answer some of your most urgent questions.